Seascape Beach Resort is proud to have a green conscience, and is committed to environmental responsibility, natural resource conservation, and lessening our impact on the beautiful natural world around us. As such, we are a certified Monterey Bay Area “Green Business,” and are fully committed to promoting sustainability and using high quality eco-friendly products and services. Our history of environmental consciousness began before the resort was even built. Seascape’s original design, with it’s natural sand beige exterior and well-planned phases, was designed so that it would blend into the beach bluffs and natural surrounding environment, while providing optimal open space for our guests. The trees that were harvested on the property were put back into the buildings. Slips of native bushes and plants on the property were cut, planted, and raised at a local native plant nursery, and then re-planted and included as part of the resort’s natural landscaping. This way, we were able to landscape with bushes and plants that were already acclimated to the site, requiring minimal maintenance and irrigation. We are aware of the profound need for incorporating sustainability and a green conscience into our business vision, and will seek every opportunity to incorporate high-impact “green” standards and practices into all aspects of our business, with maximum benefit to the planet.
A sampling of our green standards & practices include:
- Local, organic produce: Seascape Beach Resort features seasonal menus with locally grown fruits and vegetables, and supports local, organic farmers. Our herb garden produces organically-grown herbs and vegetables for the resort restaurant.
- Banquet/Back of House Recycling & Composting: Through the County of Santa Cruz Food Scrap Compost Program, our kitchen recycles food scraps into high-grade compost. The finished compost is suitable for growing food and flowers, & reduces landfill waste. Visit www.compostsantacruzcounty.org for more information.
- Guest Room & Resort Property Recycling: We encourage guests to recycle by providing clearly-marked recycling bins for cans, bottles & newspapers in each room. Recycling bins for office paper, cans, bottles, newspapers and other wastes are used in each department on the resort property. We purchase products that are both recyclable and that contain recycled content.
- Eco-friendly inks & papers: All corporate materials are printed on recycled paper using soy-based ink, and property wide printing is done on double-sided recycled paper.
- Linen/Towel Re-use Policy: Guests have an option to have towels and linens changed every other day or longer, to decrease usage of water, energy, and detergents.
- Green Lighting: We have installed a total of 4,300 energy-efficient lighting fixtures and compact fluorescent bulbs in every room, bathroom, hallway, lobby, and in the underground garages. Guest motion sensor light switches have been installed in hallways, bathrooms, and patios, and we’ve replaced all exit signs with Light Emitting Diode (LED) exit signs.
- Energy Efficient Technologies: Water-efficient fixtures, such as aerators and low-flow showerheads and toilets, have been installed in each room and in public restrooms. To prevent water waste, we perform routine maintenance inspections of all fixtures. We use high-efficiency heating & cooling equipment, monitor performance, & perform maintenance as needed. The grounds have a satellite controlled weather tracking irrigation system that provides accurate watering schedules & adjusts automatically to changes in local weather.
- Environmentally Friendly Cleaning Products & Supplies: All rooms are cleaned with environmentally friendly, non-toxic and biodegradable cleaning products. We also purchase ENERGY STAR qualified products.
- Green Training for Employees: Staff are educated on and responsible for implementation of our green practices, and are trained in the proper storage, use, and safe disposal of hazardous substances.
- Community Conservation & Charitable Projects: We work closely on community conservation and charitable projects like beach clean ups in partnership with Save Our Shores, food donations to Second Harvest Food Bank, and the sponsorship of events which donate to charities such as Adopt-a-Family. We donated an emergency-relief shed in the resort park for use by the local community. Our mission is to bring the community together in the spirit of conservation and giving.
We ask that you join us in a green partnership by turning off lights when not in use, closing draperies and blinds, re-using bath towels, and conserving water and resources whenever possible. Thank you for choosing to stay at Seascape Beach Resort and for supporting our eco-friendly efforts. We hope you enjoy your stay, and wish you and your family health, happiness, and green-conscious living. Want more? A more comprehensive version of our green commitment can be found here (PDF). We also welcome your comments & suggestions.
|To view PDF files, you must have Adobe Reader. To download a free copy, please visit Adobe's Web Site. If you use the plug-in version, simply close the browser window after you have finished reading the PDF to go back to our site.|